I had during the 2015 Jingle Bell Run Saturday.
Place: downtown Indianapolis
Weather: partly cloudy/70 degrees
Special thanks to global warming, El Nino, President Obama, Jesus, Santa Claus, and Satan for the weather. I’m fairly certain all of the above were involved.
1. Am I a 9 or 8-minute mile girl? Hmmm….
2.Wow, I bet that guy dressed as the ZZ Top Yeti is going to get warm in his costume.
3. I’m not sure I’m ready to see Santa start stripping mid-race.
4. Is the woman in front of me taking off her shirt? Answer is yes. Wow, she did that in mid-stride.
5. This Chicago Blackhawk Santa hat is starting to get warm. Meh, it’ll be fine. Only 2.5 miles to go.
6. Okay, that’s it–this hat is getting tucked into my bra. It’ll totally fit.
7. No it won’t. This is uncomfortable as f**k.
8. The lady who just trotted past me has her reindeer ears in her hand. I feel slightly more comfortable carrying this hat. Only 1.5 miles to go.
9. OOOOH, tacos.
10. No, seriously, I’m getting a taco as soon as I get done with this race.
11. We’re running around the “World’s Largest Christmas Tree” and most people are in shorts/t-shirts. It is surreal.
12. Thank you for staring at us people standing outside Au Bon Pain with hot, flaky cookies and muffins I can’t have at the moment.
13. There is no way I’m letting this old guy sprint ahead of me.
14. Hey, the off-track-betting place just opened. Wait, are they taking bets on our finish times?
15. How do people run in tutus? I don’t get it. Those appear to be cumbersome.
16. I’m at the three mile mark. Sprinting now would be good.
17. Why does this lady keep stopping and sprinting? She comes up on me like we’re in “Chariots of Fire” and then immediately slows to a walk.
18. Are there donuts at the end of this race?
19. Oh, wait, the race ends right outside Dunkin’ Donuts. Swell.
20. They have no gluten-free options, therefore screwing me out of a post-race donut.
For the record, I had no donuts or tacos that day and went straight from the race to Brazilian jiu-jitsu.
Total races for 2015: 6 (3 5ks, one 5-miler, one 8K, and one 10K)
Warmest weather: quite possibly December 12th